It would probably be 50 years before there was much interest in them from collectors.Many manuscripts may have simply been disposed of as waste materials.
Instead, there had been a Steward of the Liberty, at least since the days of William the Conqueror.Quick links on this page Kett's Rebellion 1549 Haverhill's two churches 1551 Lady Jane & Queen Mary 1553 England Catholic again 1555 England Protestant again 1559 Suffolk has own Sheriff 1576 Royal Progress to Norwich 1578 Spanish Armada 1588 Suffolk's Puritan clergy 1597 Gunpowder Plot 1605 Bury's first Charter 1606 Bury gets two MP's 1614 Hard times in Bury 1622 Laud attacks Puritans 1633 First Civil War 1642 Second Civil War 1648 King Charles I executed 1649 Restoration of Charles II 1660 Euston Hall society 1671 King now runs Corporation 1684 Glorious Revolution 1688 Celia Fiennes Tour 1698 Foot of Page 1699 Prior to the Dissolution of the Monasteries the Abbot of the Abbey of St Edmund upheld the King's law and imposed, and collected, taxes in the whole of the area later to become West Suffolk. The last abbot, John Reeve, was given a pension, and may have lived his remaining days in this house in Crown Street.He died within a few months of the surrender of the abbey, and may never have received his generous pension of £333.His father was Robert Bacon, of Drinkstone, Esquire and Sheep-reeve to the Abbey of Bury St. In 1540, some of the major local transactions carried out by the Court were as follows: In 1540 Sir Thomas Kytson was still extending his landholdings, and he bought eight of the previously monastic manors in Suffolk.These were Fornham St Martin, Fornham St Genevieve, and Fornham All Saints, Chevington, Hargrave, Risby, Sextons Manor at Westley, and Monks Hall at Santon Downham. Unlike many other rich men who became landed gentry by buying up the newly privatised monastic lands, Kytson had first put his wealth into property in Suffolk when he purchased Hengrave in 1521. Sir Thomas Kytson died at Hengrave Hall shortly after making these transactions.The details of each sale were settled by the Court of Augmentations which was responsible for the disposal of former monastic lands for the crown.Nicholas Bacon was Solicitor to the Court of Augmentations from 1537 to 1546, and he had local connections.It was getting a steady stream of immigration into its cloth trade, and Gottfried believed that its population had by this time regained its pre-plague levels.In 1340 the population was about 7,150, falling to 3,000 by 1440. Local agriculture was highly productive, depending on Bury for its market, and as a marketing centre for onward distribution.The wool and cloth industry was booming, again using Bury market for distribution nationally and internationally. The local gentry were happy to be involved in town affairs.In Lavenham, Ipswich, Hadleigh and Bergholt, the independent weavers were restless.